The Bird-watching program that Karen started in Fall, 2010 was phenomenally successful! The students at HYF's (Himalayan Youth Foundation) Kailash Hostel were so inspired and passionate, that they continued birding in our absence, started their own website, met regularly, and even produced official bird-watching club name-tags! Their heartfelt blog posts, and emails to us back in California were so moving, we just had to return!
Thanks to the generous and enthusiastic support of HYF's directors, we were invited back to Kathmandu with several goals in mind:
- Continue birding frequently with students to raise their skill level.
- Produce and field test a "birding handbook" to help train them in birding, guiding, and group leadership skills.
- Connect the Kailash students with local Nepali birders & organizations who will provide ongoing support.
- Provide assistance with updating and customizing their website & other publications.
- Help create a framework for the long-term sustainability of their bird-watching club